Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall Nesting at My Place

My favourite linky party is this one over at the INSPIRED ROOM ...so I wrote this post, just to be able to join in J





Every year I stir up the nest at my place in the late days of Aug or early days of Sept depending on the weather. When that first cool snap happens, I get started.

I clean and clean and clean.
I purge and purge and purge.
(the difference from the spring is that the stuff I purge ends up in the garage with the intent to garage sale - whereas in the spring I usually send it all off the goodwill)
Then I pull down all the "summery" stuff; the white curtains, the seashells and the turquoise cushions, etc.

Then I nest.

It usually starts with moving the furniture around (I am limited in this because of a lack of available walls); then I pull out the Autumn decor boxes from the garage...

In the spring, the decor is designed in my head to freshen things up, to keep things airy and open so the air and sunlight (and people) can pass through easily.

In the fall, I want cozy and inviting. I want people to want to snuggle in and stay awhile.
I want my home to smell yummy and spicy and soft.
I want to see rich colours and fabrics.
I want people to be able to fall asleep on the couch.
Still, I like to leave the windows open.
I like to feel the crisp breezes and hear the cry of the Canadian geese passing by.

This year I was very inspired by the colours i saw here and here.




And from this piece that was a thrifted gift from Jodi T.















So I added some new tones to the reds I've used for the past couple years. I love my reds and saw no reason to get rid of them, and they so easily are incorporated into Christmas. It's much more colourful, but not over the top. I'm inspired by them, and now that I'm home all day everyday, inspiration like that is even more important to me. Some purple, orange and green tones - they were easy to pull in.


Let me take you on a tour...

First -the main entrance (no I have not really finished the front door/step...I will later)

I'm a big fan of subtle changes, but distinct ones. I feel like when its subtle, peace continues...

My antique dresser in this area always gets dressed up. This area I keep soft and neutral with the brown and earthy tones. This year I really love birds (my "kind of" new fav) so I added some to the branches. The wreath I made in the summer, but the colour works with the fall decor, added some potpourri and my scentsy burner...







...around the corner I carry over the neutral and earthy tones but added my living plants that were in the sunroom til the dropping temps threatened their continued existence with updating
The Formal Living Room. I think this is the happiest I've been with this room. I'd still really love a fireplace in here and think it would get more use if it had one. But ahh, budget constraints...


Then we move up to The Kitchen.

This is a very busy area, so I just pull out the colour punches...

Tray with ceramic Pumpkin cookie jar; dishes and pie plate on table (easy to remove for meals)


I love this pitcher I thrifted. I'm adding hydrangea's from the garden to it.


Leftover ceramic pumpkins under the cake plate along with my new pumpkin patch cake tin from friend Jodi T and the Give Thanks scentsy burner from sister Andrea...


I put the thrifted pumpkin garland on the wall until my fairy shelf installer comes to put up said wooden shelf (thrifted) on wall instead :)

Even the bathrooms got a touch up...

Downstairs...

New Scentsy plug in. Steel blue shower curtain and metal leaf art gifted from Jodi T.


upstairs



Installed hanger for purple plant from sunroom and added pumpkin display, orange fingertip towel added to green stuff already there.


However, the room that gets the most attention is our Family Room...this is where the real punches of colour show up...

We spend the most time in here, and it's where everyone congregates to visit, eat, sleep, study, watch TV/Movies, read, play, snuggle...etc. So of course it got the most attention.

The room is a bit dark (esp at night like in these picks) so I...


1. Used purple shears with the red curtains I already had (they let more sunlight in. The orange shiny fabric on the small table was a gift from my friend Davina and her recent trip to India. I love fabric from far away places! green blanket (costco) and purple throw pillow (Ikea 2 years ago)


2. I added some lamps behind the couch (thrifted bases, purple shades from IKEA)

In moving the furniture I created a sofa table and vignette...

are these stuffed pumpkins not awesome?! (THRIFTED!)......and they have all the colours....!!!!

Plus my fav. fall inspirational books and some red and yellow mums - delish.

Grandpa's chair was updated with a table, lamp, throw and beaded cushion.All things I had or thrifted.


The bookshelves got some attention too.
Mostly decorative pumpkins.


Not sure where to put these metal rust coloured butterflies....but I'll figure something out. Love them!

Got this new red Scentsy from my sister...
This corner display was updated with orange butterfly clip from Dollar Tree and pumpkin bowl. Painteing gifted from Becky L.

Well, there you have it. I will probably tweak until the week before I take it all down to set up for the Holidays which is very far away but coming quickly... until then, I hope you've been inspired even a little by my compulsive nesting and if not, you'll have to wait for a more thought-provoking blog post, they're on their way J


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Fall has come to your home big time! Looks great!

Just a tiny suggestion if I may- the pictures are a bit tiny to see all the pretty detailing you put in to your decorating. You might make the pictures bigger to appeal to those of us with aging eyes. Someone suggested it to me when I first started blogging and it was amazing how many more visitors started coming round.

Happy Fall!
mary

Tammara said...

Thanks for the suggestion Mary! I will try to figure out how to make them bigger and do so :) Happy Autumn!!!

Search This Blog