Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fully Enjoying the Season - Day One


Week One: Preparing Our Homes for the Season

Day 1 Getting Started

I'm a nester. I love to stay home, move things around, putter, fluff and make pretty. I tend to do this on a very regular basis. However I know that not everyone is wired this way. But rest assured, anyone CAN do it. At the end of the summer I find that even though I'm excited about fall's arrival, I get overwhelmed trying to pick a theme, colour scheme or style. ESPECIALLY if I haven't stirred up inspiration yet. So, how does one stir it up?

I believe that we do this by engaging the 6 senses in "previews" to fall. Then creating space for these same senses to "lead the heart home." Ultimately I believe this is what every man, woman and child longs for - a home. To have that feeling of well-being, peace. Actually the word "cozy" is defined as "Giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation." So let's put a little cozy in our homes this season.

Stir up Some Inspiration

First things... the advertisers know this. We need to give ourselves something to "look at".

1. Magazines & Favourite Books

But we don't need to break the bank for this. Buy one, and trade it with a friend. Or save one or two favs from year to year. Next step, set the scene for stirring it up. Grab a cup of coffee and a something fallishly sweet, like say, gingersnaps. Then flip through them over a few days, appreciating the colour,etc. The following are a few magazines that I usually buy at each year because the inspire me. I also hold on to a few through the years because they keep on lighting the spark for me. If you can't afford to buy your own, they are usually available at the library or even online will do.

Canadian Living & Style at Home

House and Home or Better Homes and Gardens

I fell in love with this one this year. Full of great ideas! I also pull out some coffee table books about Autumn. Every year, they don't get old. I always pull out my cookbooks in September, classics like these create a feeling of nostalgia.

2. Ignite your sense of smell simply by lighting a Fall Scented candle or wax burner. I usually get a "new" one that I won't light til the seasons have crossed over. It's my own little ritual. It works for me.

3. You can't follow your "gut" instincts in decorating and planning until your gut is activated. Have a mug of hot apple cider with a cinnamon stick stir stick, and maybe some sweet treat too while you peruse your magazines and books. (i Know that's the second time I suggested food and drink - I'm part Greek, can't help it)



4. While you're at it...snuggle in a quilt or blanket that's all about fall.


5. Turn on some relaxing music that inspires you for the fall... I like Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles, Pricilla Ahn, Adele, Kari Jobe, Harry Connick Jr and especially Michael Buble's Home. Amos Lee and The Across the Universe Soundtrack.

6. One night go for a walk as the sun is going down... hopefully the air is crisp, breathe deep and get the "knowing" sense that it's time....

THEN pull out your autumn decor bins.

That's right, BEFORE you put away summer stuff. Remind yourself of what's in there. If you're anything like me, you've been thrifting most of the year and you just toss things in there from time to time. I usually can't remember what I've got. The other cool thing is you can "touch" them. Get a feel for what you're sub conscience may have been alluding to in your collecting. Or at the least, in the present, what colours pop out? Textures? Follow your gut in reading your home, where you're at right now and what will work. Maybe the look you used last year needs refreshing, or to be axed all together. You won't know til you give yourself options. Same thing goes for events to plan or attend.


After that...then, put away your summer things... clear some spaces. Also pull out empty calendar/agenda pages. Don't be afraid to sit with empty tabletops, mantels, etc. Until you're following your inspiration. What do you want it to look like and feel like for yourself and your family? Often times the kind of year you've had, influences how you approach this season and it's culmination in December. Go with it. Let the inspiration hit you and...

Then, get to work. Little by little put and begin to use out the things that make your heart and your home cozy...

Finally, don't be afraid to "tweak" it over and over, and over again. That's called nesting. You'll be doing it up until January "ish". You can fall in love with it, when you see that nesting is really just one way of loving the ones who live in the space, including yourself.

Tammara





No comments:

Search This Blog